How Do I?
About Student Affairs
What is Student Affairs?
What is the Division of Student Affairs? It's a group of departments dedicated to the student experience, whether that be academic, athletic, or just extracurricular fun! It's the campus division that handles things such as student clubs, intramural sports, student advising, and a host of other student-oriented services.
About the Office of the Vice Chancellor
Office of the Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs, 476 Mrak Hall, (530) 752-2416
Please visit the departments page for a complete listing of the student-services units Student Affairs encompasses.
The Division of Student Affairs Annual Report 2011-2012: A look back while moving forward (pdf) describes the past year's goals and objectives as well as a snapshot of Student Affairs resources and 2012-13 divisional objectives.
The Division of Student Affairs Annual Report 2010-2011: Supporting the vision of UC Davis (pdf) highlights the ways in which Student Affairs enriches UC Davis students' academic studies through programs focused on mentorship, leadership and career development.
In July 1970, the third chancellor of the UC Davis campus, James H. Meyer, appointed Thomas Dutton as the first vice chancellor for Student Affairs. The newly created administrative appointment encompassed the responsibilities of the former part-time positions of the dean of students, and dean of men and women.
As vice chancellor for Student Affairs, Dutton restructured student programs to reflect the campus's academic planning and brought under one organizational umbrella enrollment services (admission, financial aid and registration), counseling, housing, health and recreation, student government and student special services.
During his 20-year tenure as vice chancellor, Dutton built the Division of Student Affairs into an adaptable unit, providing students the services and programs that enable them to thrive at UC Davis.
- Adela de la Torre, interim vice chancellor; July 1, 2012-present
- Fred Wood, vice chancellor; August 1, 2007-June 2012
- Janet Gong, interim vice chancellor; January 1, 2007-July 31, 2007
- Judy Sakaki, July 2002-January 1, 2007
- Robert Franks, interim vice chancellor, January 2002-June 2002
- Carolyn F. Wall, July 1995-December 2001
- Robert Franks, interim vice chancellor, July 1994-June 1995
- Frank L. Rincon, 1992-1994
- Robert E. Chason, acting vice chancellor, 1991-1992
- Thomas B. Dutton, 1970-1991