Dean Witter Fund
The Dean Witter Fund promotes informal faculty-student interaction and was established by a contribution from Dean Witter, founder of the San Francisco investment firm. Funds may be used to defer the cost of a variety of events, including meals on campus, at local restaurants, or informal gatherings.
- Questions regarding the application process should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For events serving graduate students, please visit the Office of Graduate Studies website.
- Professional school students may inquire about Dean Witter funds through their dean's offices.
- Applications must be submitted at least one month PRIOR to the event.
- An event agenda and detailed budget with projected itemized expenses will need to be submitted as part of your application.
- Funds are to be used for the interaction of undergraduate students and their faculty. In order to reach more students, we recommend planning to invite at least 15 undergraduate students.
- Applicants will be reimbursed within the limits set by UCD PPM 330-80 and UC BUS-79.
- The applicant must be the person who pays for the expense and submits receipts for reimbursement.
- Events must take place outside the regular classroom.
- Student Affairs reserves the right to verify the event with the designated guests.
- Failure to abide by these guidelines may jeopardize approval of future Dean Witter funding.
- All reimbursement documentation must be submitted within 5–7 business days of the event with proof of payment and itemized receipts.
- All events must be tied to an academic course number.
- All events must include undergraduate students and at least one faculty member.
- Eligible attendees include faculty, teaching assistants and undergraduate students currently enrolled in the class.
Ineligible Events and Expenses
Funding will not be awarded for the following:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Classroom functions (e.g., lectures, study sessions, labs, discussion sections, field trips, competitions)
- Costs for non-UC participants
- Departmental events
- Events open to the public
- Gift cards
- Multiple applications for the same event
- Recognition/award events
- Spouses, domestic partners and family members of attendees
- Travel, sporting, theatrical or music events