How Do I?
2013 Student Recognition Awards
- Mary Jeanne Gilhooly Award - for Outstanding Graduating Senior Woman
- Veloyce Glenn Winslow Jr. Award - for Outstanding Graduating Senior Man
- Margarita Robinson Student Leadership Award - for Outstanding Juniors
Information, Brochure and Nomination Form
Nominations and applications for 2013 Student Recognition Awards are no longer being accepted. Thank you for your interest!
Many student leaders give generously of their knowledge, time and energy, to serve and improve the university and/or community at large. These committed students rarely receive formal acknowledgment or compensation for their efforts. The following awards are offered to publicly recognize and celebrate the initiative and outstanding work of those students who represent the very best attributes and accomplishments of UC Davis students.
The Mary Jeanne Gilhooly Award honors the graduating woman believed to be the most outstanding in the areas of leadership, scholarship, integrity and service in the campus community. The award was established in 1942 to memorialize the achievements of Mary Jeanne Gilhooly, recognized as an "unofficial goodwill ambassador to every prospective Aggie."
The Veloyce Glenn Winslow, Jr. Award honors the graduating man believed to be the most outstanding in the areas of leadership, scholarship, integrity and service in the campus community. This award was established in 1966 to memorialize the achievements of Veloyce Glenn Winslow, Jr., who died while serving as vice president of the student body at UC Davis.
The Chancellor will present each Gilhooly and Winslow award recipient with $500.00 and a small gift at his or her commencement.
The Margarita Robinson Student Leadership Award honors up to three students for their outstanding service and leadership through involvement in recognized student groups and activities. Established in 1982, this award serves as a memorial to Margarita Robinson, who was house mother at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity for 30 years and a founder of the Prytanean Honor Society at UC Davis.
Each recipient of the Margarita Robinson Student Leadership Award will receive $100.00 and a small gift.
A student's overall contribution to the campus and community is the primary criterion considered. Nominees should be widely recognized as leaders held in high esteem by other students. They must have made a significant contribution through participation in campus or community service. Evidence of socially responsible, ethical and outstanding leadership either in specific positions of responsibility or while engaged in service activities are indicators of a nominee's qualifications for the award. Self-nominations are acceptable.
In addition to the above, the following information is specific to each award:
- The Mary Jeanne Gilhooly and Veloyce Glenn Winslow, Jr. Awards for the Outstanding Graduating Woman and Man
- Must graduate by the end of Summer Session 2013.
- Must have attended UC Davis for at least two academic years.
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 overall and not be on academic probation at end of fall quarter 2012.
- Margarita Robinson Student Leadership Award for Outstanding Juniors
- Awarded for superior leadership experience and skills in organized student groups and activities.
- Must be in at least their second year at UC Davis at the time of application, achieve junior status by the end of winter quarter 2013, and not be graduating before fall quarter 2013.
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 overall and not be on academic probation at end of fall quarter 2012.
- Previous recipients of the Margarita Robinson Student Leadership Award and/or the Vice Chancellor's Award of Merit are not eligible for this award.
Financial aid recipients are encouraged to apply, however, prizes and scholarships may affect current year awards or future eligibility, depending upon when funds are actually received. Consult you financial aid officer for details.