The Division of Student Affairs advances the university's mission by providing UC Davis students with programs, services and facilities that foster academic success, student development and campus community. Through these efforts, units within the division inspire students as they prepare for their future roles in a diverse, dynamic and global society.
The Division of Student Affairs encompasses nearly 30 defined departments or units with operational budgets exceeding $414 million annually. With approximately 2.5 million square feet of space under management, the division is served by approximately 750 professional staff and 3,000 student employees.
Student Affairs goals include:
- Goal 1: Steward resources responsibly to meet our vision, mission, values and goals.
- Goal 2: Assess programs and services in a coordinated and intentional manner to inform strategic decision-making, utilizing benchmarks for improving student outcomes.
- Goal 3: Deliver programs, services and experiences that promote student success, well-being and engagement while building an inclusive campus community that seeks to address inequities so every student can thrive.
- Goal 4: Foster excellence through collaboration, continuous improvement and innovation.
- Goal 5: Invest in efforts that support professional growth, career development, work-life harmony, wellness and retention of our talented and diverse staff.
James H. Meyer, the third chancellor of UC Davis, appointed Thomas Dutton as the first vice chancellor for Student Affairs. The newly created administrative appointment encompassed the responsibilities of the former part-time dean positions.
As vice chancellor for Student Affairs, Dutton restructured student programs to reflect the university's academic planning and brought enrollment services (admissions, financial aid and registration), counseling, housing, health and recreation, student government and student special services under one organizational umbrella.
During his 20-year tenure as vice chancellor, Dutton built the Division of Student Affairs into an adaptable unit that enables students to thrive at UC Davis.
Student Affairs Vice Chancellors
- Pablo G. Reguerín, vice chancellor, July 2020–present
- Emily Galindo, interim vice chancellor, May 2018–July 2020
- Adela de la Torre, vice chancellor, August 2013–April 2018
- Adela de la Torre, interim vice chancellor, July 2012–July 2013
- Fred Wood, vice chancellor, August 1, 2007–June 2012
- Janet Gong, interim vice chancellor, January 1, 2007–July 31, 2007
- Judy Sakaki, vice chancellor, July 2002–January 1, 2007
- Robert Franks, interim vice chancellor, January 2002–June 2002
- Carolyn F. Wall, vice chancellor, July 1995–December 2001
- Robert Franks, interim vice chancellor, July 1994–June 1995
- Frank L. Rincon, vice chancellor, 1992–1994
- Robert E. Chason, acting vice chancellor, 1991–1992
- Thomas B. Dutton, vice chancellor, 1970–1991