COVID-19 FAQ for Students

Aerial view of campus
Chris Di DIo/UC Davis)
The frequently asked questions (FAQs) on this page are applicable to spring quarter and summer sessions. Visit the Campus Ready website for information specific to fall quarter 2020.

Last updated August 5, 2020

To help address specific questions you may have related to campus decisions and other announcements, we have developed a student-focused frequently asked questions (FAQ) for you to utilize as an informational resource. As we receive questions and feedback from students, we will continue to update and add information. We encourage you to check this FAQ page frequently.

The facts related to COVID-19 in Yolo County are changing rapidly, so it’s important to keep checking in. We will also be providing updates via multiple communication channels, with social media being the most expedient way to share announcements. If you aren’t already, we encourage you to follow Student Affairs Facebook and Instagram channels and check The Updater tile on myucdavis. The most up-to-date campus information can be found online on the UC Davis coronavirus updates webpage.

General Questions

What if I have concerns about the Coronavirus?
A good way to manage any worries about COVID-19 is to stay as informed as possible. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has posted some very good information.

Is the campus closing?
The campus is at reduced operations and the return to full campus operations will be gradual. Some campus buildings will remain open, and also still available will be critical campus units, including residence halls, apartments, dining facilities, Student Health and Counseling Services and student support services, though some services may be modified.

When should I return to campus?
Instruction will be offered through remote means for spring quarter and summer sessions. If possible, students are encouraged to remain at home (permanent residence) until in-person classes are offered. The COVID-19 pandemic is constantly changing. Weekly updates to the community will be provided.

Academic Instruction

Remote Learning

What is the guidance to students for remote learning?
While this journey on “Remote Learning” is new to us, every university and all their students are on the same path. As we shifted to remote instruction in the spring, both you and your instructors made some changes. Your instructors likely used a combination of Canvas, Zoom, email, and other web-based tools to offer remote instruction. To help students continue to navigate their new learning environment, please review the Remote Learning Strategies available on the Keep Teaching website.

What do I do on the first day of class?

  • Log into Canvas by the first day of instruction. If your instructor is using Canvas, you should be able to see your class. You can check earlier, but it may not be visible before the first day of instruction. Remember, your instructors are working hard to create remote teaching resources, so resources may not be available before the first day of instruction.
  • Instructors who are not using Canvas should contact you via email. If you don’t hear from them, email them.
  • As instruction evolves, we will post updates to the Student Resources section of the Keep Teaching website.

I do not have reliable access to WiFi. What do I do?
Please refer to the Student Resources section of the Keep Teaching website for help with WiFi access.

What should I do if I need to print something?
On-campus printers are not accessible at this time. If you need access to a printer, FedEx Office located at 313 F Street in Davis is open 9 am-6 pm, Monday - Friday for your printing needs. The self-service stations cost 15 cents per page for black and white and 65 cents per page for color printing. 

The Basic Needs Center provides emergency funding to assist students with urgent food and housing needs as well as other basic necessities. Please submit a request for a Basic Needs Resource Plan to apply.

Is there a student laptop loaner program available? Please refer to the Student Resources section of the Keep Teaching website for this information.

Academic Advising

As students continue academic pursuits in a shifted modality, academic advisors will provide service to students remotely.

Where can I find academic advising information?
Your college and/or major department advising offices:

How do I schedule an appointment with my academic advisor?
Schedule appointments per usual through your appointment system. Students within the College of Biological Sciences can schedule appointments here. All other students can schedule appointments here.

Can I schedule an in-person appointment?
In order to comply with campus and community directives, academic advising will only happen remotely at this time. No in-person meetings will occur.

What are my remote appointment options?
You can connect via Zoom or phone. Your academic advisor will send connection details to you prior to your scheduled appointment. If you cannot connect via Zoom for any reason, you can always use the dial-in by phone option.

What do I need to prepare for Zoom?
While you may find it useful to sign up for a free Zoom account, you do not need one. You can use Zoom on a computer or a smartphone device.

  • To begin: click the meeting link that you receive, let the Zoom software/app download, follow the prompts, and you will enter into the remote session or virtual waiting room.
  • You’ll need: minimally audio functionality, ideally a webcam for video functionality on your end, stable internet connection, and a quiet place.

Why Zoom?
Zoom has many useful features. We have heard from students that the screen sharing functionality has been especially helpful in a virtual advising setting.

Passed/Not Passed Grading Option

Retroactive grade mode changes for courses taken Spring 2020

The Academic Senate is allowing greater flexibilities for retroactive grade mode changes for courses taken Spring 2020. These flexibilities and instructions are limited to courses taken Spring 2020, and they only apply to undergraduate students. Courses taken any other quarter are subject to the standard policies and guidelines for retroactive grade mode changes.

P/NP Updates for Summer Sessions 2020
Some flexibilities for taking courses P/NP will also apply to Summer Sessions 2020. The last date to opt for P/NP grading, or to revert to letter grading, has been extended to July 24 for Summer Session 1 and September 4 for Summer Session 2. Additional temporary exceptions (such as P/NP unit maximums, availability of P/NP for major-required courses, and availability to students not in good standing) vary by college and program, and may differ from the P/NP flexibilities colleges offered in Spring 2020. 

You should consider the following before electing to take a course P/NP:

  • A “P” is equivalent to a C- or better. P/NP grades are not used in GPA calculations.
  • Taking a course P/NP could have important implications for future graduate school admissions. Graduate schools may have prerequisites that require letter grading. If you have applied to a graduate program for fall 2020, please check with that program for information on how P/NP grading may affect your application.
  • UPDATED: If you are taking a course to fulfill the Entry Level Writing Requirement, you may change the grading option to P/NP in spring quarter and Summer Sessions 2020. For spring and summer 2020, UC Office of the President has determined that the requirement can be fulfilled with a grade of C- or better, which is equivalent to a P grade. 
  • No course units are awarded for a NP. If you receive a NP, this could drop you below minimum progress or affect academic probationary status. This could also affect the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) calculation, which determines your eligibility for future financial aid.
  • Veterans who receive financial assistance may have a strong motivation to take classes for a letter grade, as the receipt of a grade such as a “NP” can retroactively impact financial aid. Some branches of the armed forces require that students maintain a 2.0 or higher, or make progress toward degree completion; the P/NP option may hinder the ability to maintain this threshold. These are complex issues and students should consult closely with their advisors or the Veterans Success Center.

P/NP unit caps and options for major-required courses - Spring and Summer 2020
Each college has different P/NP guidelines for grading of courses that are required for students in their majors. A summary is provided here.

Current Academic Senate policy states that no more than one-third of the units for graduation taken at UC Davis by an undergraduate student may be taken on a P/NP basis. Some colleges are excluding P/NP from the unit cap calculation; however, some colleges have a stricter P/NP unit cap. Details by college follow.

We encourage students to talk with an advisor in their college before making P/NP decisions.

  • College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences: For spring quarter 2020 only, undergraduate students in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences can elect for courses that satisfy major or minor requirements in CA&ES to be graded on a P/NP basis. Courses graded P/NP will not be factored into a student’s GPA calculation. This exception to policy applies only to students in good academic standing. Courses graded P/NP during spring and summer 2020 will not be factored into the campus’ one-third cap on units taken P/NP. The deadline to opt for P/NP grading or to revert back to letter grading has been extended to the last day of instruction for spring quarter (June 4, 2020).
  • College of Biological Sciences: Courses graded P/NP during spring and summer 2020 will not be factored into the campus’ one-third cap on units taken P/NP. Please refer to the CBS P/NP information page for additional details about the policy.  
  • College of Engineering: Please refer to the COE P/NP FAQs page
  • College of Letters and Science: Excluding the courses that are graded on a P/NP basis only, the limit for optional P/NP grading is not more than one fourth of the units completed on the Davis campus and presented for graduation.  Units taken on a P/NP basis for spring 2020 only will be excluded from both the university P/NP limit and the College’s one-fourth limit of optional P/NP grading.  The deadline to opt for P/NP grading or to revert back to letter grading has been extended to the last day of instruction for spring quarter (June 4, 2020).

How do I change my grading option?
Use Schedule Builder to follow the regular process for changing your grading option.

Can I change from P/NP back to a letter grade?
Yes. Please see guidelines for Spring 2020. For Summer Session 1, the deadline is June 24. For Summer Session 2, the deadline is September 4.

Will taking a class P/NP impact my GPA?
P/NP grades are not factored into the GPA calculation.

Will taking a class P/NP impact my time to graduation?
That depends on whether a letter grade in the class is required by your major or college. Additionally, courses in which you receive an “NP” grade yield no units toward graduation.

I am repeating a course after taking it for a letter grade. Can I take it P/NP in Spring or Summer 2020?

UPDATED: I am not in good academic standing. Can I take a course P/NP in Spring 2020? Normally, you must be in good academic standing to take courses P/NP. For Spring 2020 and Summer Sessions 2020, you may petition your dean’s office for approval to take specific courses on a P/NP basis.

Who should I talk to if I’m not sure what to do?
You should start by contacting your academic advisor in your Dean’s Office (or BASC, if you are a College of Biological Student) or your major advisor if the course you are considering changing to P/NP is specifically required for your major. Don’t panic if you cannot get an appointment with an advisor right away. Remember, you don’t need to make this decision immediately. The deadline to opt for P/NP grading, or to revert back to letter grading, has been extended to the last day of instruction for Spring 2020 (June 4, 2020).  For Summer Session 1, the deadline is June 24. For Summer Session 2, the deadline is September 4. 

Campus Store and Digital Course Materials

Is the Campus Store open?
Yes, UC Davis Stores has reopened select locations as of Monday, June 8 with limited hours as well as safety measures and physical distancing guidelines in place.

Key prevention practices within our stores include:

  • Physical distancing to the maximum extent possible,
  • Use of face coverings by employees (where respiratory protection is not required) and customers/clients,
  • Frequent handwashing and regular cleaning and disinfection,
  • Training employees on these and other elements of the COVID-19 prevention plan.

The Campus Store website remains open to take your orders 24 hours a day. We are adding new products to our website every day and will continue to ship orders directly to you or make them available for pick-up during store hours.

If you don’t see an item you are looking for on our website, or for any other questions, please use our contact form to quickly and easily reach specific departments within the Store.

How do I access my books?
To support remote instruction, all textbooks available in digital format will be provided as e-books. To access the e-books available for your courses, click on the Bookshelf option in the Canvas navigation menu. You have auto-access for any required textbooks, but you can opt out in the Bookshelf window if you make other arrangements for the text. If you do not see a book in Canvas, it is not offered in digital format, and you will need to purchase the print version.

For suggested textbooks, you have trial access until the 14th day of instruction and can choose to opt in during that period to retain access for the rest of the quarter. The access charge will be billed for any items showing a status of “Opted In” after the 14th day of instruction.

For questions regarding content access and billing, please contact the student support desk at For questions regarding functionality of the Bookshelf e-reader, please contact the Vital Source support desk at

Books without a digital equivalent will not appear in Canvas. You can order these books from the UC Davis Stores website, Amazon or wherever you prefer to buy textbooks.

Housing and Dining Services

Please visit the Student Housing and Dining Services website for recent updates and a more in-depth FAQ regarding Fall 2020.

What is the status of the housing guarantee for incoming freshmen and transfer students and second-year returning students entering UC Davis in fall quarter 2020?
UC Davis guarantees on-campus housing to all incoming first-year freshman, transfer students, and second-year returning students. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, UC Davis may withdraw or amend this guarantee in the case of public health guidance or other extenuating circumstances.

If I cancel my contract because of COVID-19, will I receive a refund of my reservation fee?
If campus receives public health guidance to reduce housing density for fall quarter due to COVID-19, we may ask for some student residents to volunteer to cancel their housing contracts. Students who then choose to cancel their contracts will have their reservation fee credited to their student account. If needed, additional details on the cancellation process will be provided. Contract cancelations, except when mandated by public health guidance related to COVID-19, are subject to the contract cancelation policy outlined in the housing contract

Are there guidelines for observing a stay at home order when you live in apartments or residence halls?
Please see the attached flyer: COVID-19 Guidelines:Staying at Home for Apartments or Close Quarters for information.

What is the guidance for students who live in Sol at West Village, The Colleges at LaRue, 8th and Wake, Russell Park, LaRue Park, Co-ops, fraternities or sororities?
These properties are not owned by the campus and have their own housing policies. Please contact your building/house manager for details. In the event your current housing will close down and you do not have other options or would prefer to stay in Davis, please email e-mail the Student Housing and Dining Services Office for assistance in securing a university housing contract.

What is the guidance for students living in private, rental housing?
If you live in a privately-owned and managed residence, you are responsible for paying rent for the remainder of the term of your lease unless your landlord has provided a written confirmation that the full rent is not due. We recommend you contact the person or company who manages your lease to understand your options. In addition, we have issued guidance regarding the recent City of Davis Eviction Ordinance and Governor's Executive Order to help address financial hardships and rent payments during this challenging time. 

Students may also access the following resources for additional help:

What do I do if I am experiencing a housing crisis or may lose housing?
If you are experiencing a housing crisis or may lose housing, please contact the Aggie Compass Basic Needs Center for support. They offer a variety of housing resources, including emergency shelter and transitional housing and housing assistance and basic needs grants to help students with urgent housing needs. You may submit a request for a Basic Needs Resource Plan to apply.

For more specific information about Student Housing and Dining Services, please visit

Student Health and Counseling Services

Will I be able to access health care at Student Health and Counseling Services?
Yes, Student Health and Counseling Services remain open for students. Visit the Health-e-Messaging portal for most medical and mental health appointment scheduling.

Phone and online access are available for the following students:

  • Any student, including those who are no longer on campus or in the Davis area
  • Those who have traveled internationally within the past 14 days
  • Those who have respiratory symptoms and are concerned
  • Those who are a known contact of someone with COVID-19
  • Those who wish to use after hours services or self-help online care resources

Student Health and Counseling Services providers by phone:

  • Medical visits: Schedule a telephone visit through the Health-e-Messaging portal to initiate care. Speak with a Student Health Center nurse during normal business hours or the after-hours nurse advice service by calling 530-752-2349.
  • Mental health visits: Counseling Services are available by phone or via secure video conferencing. Schedule an appointment through the Health-e-Messaging portal or by calling 530-752-0871. All Mental Health Crisis Consultation Services are offered via phone consultation or secure video conferencing. Call 530-752-0871 to access these services.

Additional mental health resources:

Looking for more information or additional services? Please review the Student Health and Well-being Resources flyer for a complete list of available services. 

What should I do if I am diagnosed with COVID-19 while away from campus?
Please call Student Health and Counseling Services at 530-752-2349 so that we can be aware and coordinate care if needed. In addition, please follow the campus reporting protocol to report a positive test for COVID-19.

What should I do if someone I know tests positive for COVID-19?
When you have personal knowledge of testing positive yourself for COVID-19, or an immediate family member testing positive, or know of a colleague who has tested positive, please adhere to the campus reporting protocol.

What do I do if I become sick?
Signs of coronavirus infection include fever and respiratory symptoms like a cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.

For students — Student Health and Counseling Services, based on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, has developed additional screening (by phone and at its front desks) and has implemented additional protocols to help identify possible cases of coronavirus to provide optimal care for those with symptoms and to protect other patients and staff.

Any student who suspects they have influenza or coronavirus should contact Student Health and Counseling Services at 530-752-2349 or their primary medical provider prior to arriving at the medical office. This will allow the office to provide you with information on your illness and to plan for your visit to the clinic, if needed. In addition, please review the steps to help prevent the spread of respiratory illness if you are sick.

What should I do if someone in my household is sick?
It is crucial for all members of the UC Davis community to heed the recommendations for preventive care which have the greatest likelihood of protecting us as individuals as well as the larger community by diminishing the chances of transmission of the virus:

  • Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds, or, as an alternative, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
  • Stay home if you are sick and avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.

In addition, it is recommended that people practice good health habits: Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage stress, drink plenty of fluids and eat nutritious food. Do not smoke or use e-cigarettes. For information, see the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s "People at Risk for Serious Illness From COVID-19".

If you are living on campus and have questions about alternative arrangements to housing if your roommate is sick, contact the Student Housing main office.

What resources are available to help manage stress or anxiety associated with a COVID-19 diagnosis for me, a family member or someone living in my household?
We encourage you to contact Counseling Services, who is available by phone or via secure video conferencing. Schedule an appointment through the Health-e-Messaging portal or by calling 530-752-0871. All Mental Health Crisis Consultation Services are also offered via phone consultation or secure video conferencing and can be accessed by calling 530-752-0871. In addition, Case Managers from the Office of Student Support and Judicial Affairs Office are available for students who are struggling with challenges and crisis-related issues that interfere with their academic and student life success. 

What if I want to come in to be tested for COVID-19?
We are currently testing in accordance with Yolo County Public Health and California Department of Public Health guidelines. If you feel that you need to be tested based on the recommended guidelines, or if you have further questions, please contact your provider via Health-e-Messaging or schedule a phone appointment with an advice nurse call 530-752-2349. When medically indicated, UC SHIP and other insurance plans are required to cover testing with no out-of-pocket expenses to you.

Should I wear a face covering in public?
According to the new Yolo County Public Health requirement, face coverings must be worn in public with enforcement beginning on April 27, 2020. For more detailed information, please review the face covering guidance issued by Yolo County. Read about how students are supplementing the campus’s supply of face coverings, producing them at the Craft Center.  

What should I do if I’ve traveled internationally and need to return to campus?
Any students returning from Level 2 or Level 3 countries are required to self-quarantine off campus for 14 days. Contact SHCS at 530-752-2349 for information about self-quarantining, health monitoring and other support.

Students who have fever and/or a cough or shortness of breath AND recent travel to a CDC Level 2 or Level 3 country:
You must first call SHCS to arrange for appropriate precautions prior to visiting the SHCS. Call 530-752-2349.

Student Support Services

What’s happening to student support services, such as the Student Disability Center, the Internship and Career Center, Student Community Center, Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS), Student Support Case Managers, etc.?
Support services will still be available remotely using Zoom, email, phone, etc. It’s best to check the website of the office you’re interested in to learn more.

Are Case Managers still available through the Office of Student Support and Judicial Affairs?
Yes. Case Managers are available to support students struggling with challenges and crisis-related issues that interfere with their academic and student life success. OSSJA non-clinical Case Managers receive information, identify resources, reach out to students and follow up so that students receive assistance with their needs. OSSJA Case Managers are not licensed counselors and do not provide therapy. They do not replace the critical role that Student Health and Counseling Services has on our campus to help students, but they do serve as an important point of contact for students or anyone who is concerned about a student.

For more questions or more information, please contact the OSSJA Virtual Front Desk during business hours (M-F from 9:00AM-noon and 1:00-4:00PM), email or call 530-752-1128 to leave a voicemail. To initiate contact with a Case Manager, please complete a Public CARE Report.

What do I do if I qualify for academic accommodations and have concerns about the impact that remote instruction may have on me?
Please contact the Student Disability Center for any questions or concerns related to requests for accommodation, approval of services, or equitable access to educational programs.

What is the status of basic needs support?
The Aggie Compass Basic Needs Center is currently open and recommends minimizing in-person use of the space so that we can stay open for students with emergency needs. In response to growing concerns over COVID-19, the Aggie Compass Basic Needs Center has prepared a Living Guide to help students navigate available resources and support. If you are a student with an emergency need, i.e., lacking adequate nutritious food, homeless, may lose housing, etc.:

What about tutoring and supplemental instruction?
Most of the academic support provided by Academic Assistance and Tutoring Centers will happen remotely through online classes, workshops and individual tutoring. For information on academic support services, check out the website at Academic Assistance and Tutoring Centers. Tutoring services in the Residential Academic Centers are closed.

What services are being offered by the Internship and Career Center?
The Internship and Career Center (ICC) is providing services in a virtual format and updating our content and resources to address the changing employment landscape. You can still find a job, internship or career position! Visit the website for regular updates and find some highlighted services below.

  • Looking for a part-time or temporary job right now? Check our “Quick hire” list. These are local/regional opportunities in which hiring is taking place quickly to provide essential services (biotech, logistics, health care services, child care, etc.) during the national health crisis. We are updating as we hear of new opportunities.
  • Phone and video advising appointments are available via Handshake. Appointment times have been expanded to include late afternoon and evening hours.
  • Need to prepare for an on-line interview? Here’s a short video we created to help you “Ace the On-line Interview”! You got this!
  • Spring quarter ICC Workshops will be delivered via Zoom. We are inviting employers to join and share their tips, which is an additional way to connect with them and build your network. Register via Handshake to obtain the meeting number.
  • Companies are still recruiting! Search jobs and internships via Handshake.
Is the ARC open?
Due to a state mandate, the ARC will be closed until further notice beginning Monday, July 13 at 5 p.m. At this time, the lap pool is still open for lap swimming by reservation. 
What remote resources are being offered by Campus Recreation?

To support the students and staff while we are remote, Campus Recreation has developed the “Aggies at Home” initiative that offers your favorite Living Well classes online, workouts and nutrition advice on the Campus Recreation Instagram channel, live stream classes on Facebook and resources on topics like how to work from home, at-home workouts, managing your free time and more. Check out the class schedule and let's keep moving, Aggies!

What services are being offered by Associated Students, University of California, Davis (ASUCD)?

Campus Events

What is the guidance for events?
Any UC Davis event with attendance of greater than 50 people is canceled. The attendance cap applies to all events, university-sponsored or otherwise, in all campus spaces and venues, at all UC Davis locations, and to university events held off-campus.

What if the event attendance is below the attendance cap?
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) also provided guidance for events of any size, including those with planned attendance of less than 50. They advise that “events should only be continued if they can be carried out with adherence to guidelines for protecting vulnerable populations, hand hygiene and physical distancing. When feasible, organizers could modify events to be virtual.” With this guidance, we recommend to move all events and meetings virtual, whenever possible.

What is the status of Commencement?
The decision has announced to move Commencement to a virtual celebration in June AND explore an alternate date - likely in December - to host an in-person ceremony.  Visit the Commencement website for more information. 

Is there specific guidance for events hosted by Registered Student Organizations or Greek organizations?
Please refer to the guidance provided by the Center for Student Involvement.

Tuition and Fees

What is the status of tuition and mandatory fees?
Some or all instruction for all or part of Academic Year 20-21 may be delivered remotely. Tuition and mandatory fees have been set regardless of the method of instruction and will not be refunded in the event instruction occurs remotely for any part of the Academic Year. Tuition and fee charges are published here.

What are tuition and mandatory fees being used for?
The University continues to function even as many staff and faculty are working and teaching remotely. While certain aspects of campus operations are curtailed during this transition, the campus is not closed. Staff are supporting most functions remotely and all staff are receiving paid administrative leave. As well, many of the costs incurred are necessary to maintain campus infrastructure and fund long-term debt obligations. The debt owed for student buildings and facilities, such as the Memorial Union, Student Community Center, Student Health and Wellness Center and the recent ARC expansion also continues despite the current crisis. In addition, the campus is now incurring new costs to support remote teaching and learning related needs and unexpected shifts in operational and staffing needs. Staff continues to serve and support students and certain services, such as Student Health and Counseling Services, the Basic Needs Center, advising and many Student Affairs units, have ramped up services to meet the needs of students who are continuing their education from many different locations. For additional information, please view the message to students from the Vice Chancellor of Finance Operations and Administration, Kelly Ratliff.

What is the status of Course Materials and Services Fees?
With the campus providing remote delivery of instruction for spring and summer 2020, UC Davis is suspending all undergraduate and graduate Course Materials and Services Fees that are tied to specific courses. A list of all Course Materials Fees for 2019-20 can be found in the 2019-20 Course Materials and Services Fees report on the Tuition and Fees webpage. Course Materials and Services Fees associated with DVM and MD programs are not tied to specific courses and therefore will not be suspended.

Have there been any adjustments to Add/Drop deadlines?
No changes have been made to the add/drop policy or deadlines. More information can be found here.

Financial Aid

How do I find out more information about the The CARES Act Emergency Relief Grant Fund?
Please review the CARES Act Report and visit the CARES Act FAQs page on the Financial Aid and Scholarship website. 

How do I contact the Financial Aid Office?
We recommend reviewing the Frequently Asked Questions page as an initial resource for your questions. Visit the Contact Us page on the Financial Aid and Scholarship website for more information.

Student Employment

What do I do if I am not able to continue to work or have concerns about working?
Please contact your supervisor if you have any concerns about your ability to continue working.

Can I work remotely?
Staff are in the process of determining how to offer services remotely and, as part of that process, still considering new ways to engage their student employees remotely as well. We encourage student staff to recommend projects in which their perspective is uniquely valuable in these unusual circumstances such as:

  • Provide input and help to design or create resources your unit can use to connect with recently accepted and prospective students.
  • Review and update social media calendars for spring quarter and create and schedule posts.
  • Audit department website for broken links and content updates
  • Begin converting website content to Gen-Z friendly short videos using tools like Powtoons or Doodly
  • Prepare materials for Orientation 2020
  • Review and update departmental documents such user guides, student staff policy, procedure documents and student staff training guides
  • Use LinkedIn to locate, interview and create a web-based gallery of alumni profiles to showcase the array of careers former student employees and majors from your unit have attained

Think of your department’s needs and be creative. Your insights will make us more successful.

If your campus job cannot be done remotely and you are seeking employment visit the Internship and Career Center (ICC) for updates on local opportunities with essential services employers. Internship and career opportunities will continue to be posted in Handshake. These listings will also include UC Davis remote jobs and other opportunities related to the unique needs of this time, such as biomedical testing and logistics. ICC advisors are available to meet with students via phone or video conference, and you may make your appointment on Handshake.

Am I eligible for paid leave?
According to a University of California Office of the President Executive Order, all employees, including students, shall be eligible to receive a one-time allotment of up to 128 hours of paid Emergency Administrative Leave (EAL). The number of hours for employees who work less than full-time shall be prorated according to the percent of the appointment based on the calculated amount and assuming their absence met the criteria.

If I am on work-study, will I continue to get paid if I am not working?
Yes. If you are enrolled and your department determines that remote work is not operationally feasible, you will continue to be paid using your work-study award until the funds are depleted. If you are unable to work remotely, your pay will be based on estimated hours at the discretion of your supervisor. If you are able to work remotely, you must work in order to get paid and your earnings will be based on actual hours worked.

Global Affairs and Travel

Where can I get information for international students?
Please visit the information page and FAQ on the Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS) website.

Where can I find the current travel advisories?
Please visit the Global Affairs Travel Announcement page.

What should I do if I’ve traveled internationally for school-related or personal travel and need to return to campus?
Any students returning from a CDC Level 3 country must self-isolate for 14 days before returning to campus and any students returning from international travel should practice physical distancing for 14 days before returning to campus. Contact SHS at 831-459-2000 for information about self-quarantining, health monitoring and other support. If you are an international student with specific questions please contact your advisor in Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS).

What is the status of UC Davis Study Abroad programs?
Based on UC guidance and recent advisories from the CDC, UC Davis has suspended all its international and U.S.-based study and intern abroad programs through summer. Specific details and resources have been sent to students who enrolled in programs so that they can plan for other opportunities. For more information on UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) programs visit the UCEAP website.

Is the Global Learning Hub still operating?
While study abroad has been canceled until December 2020, the Global Learning Hub offers many other services such as Virtual Global InternshipsVirtual Global Community Engagement opportunities, and global professional development programs. Please visit here to discover all programs or email to set up an advising appointment.

Graduate Studies

Please visit the Graduate Studies COVID-19 information page for updates on instruction and research, form submission and degree filing, leave and remote work and graduate studies events, specifically for the graduate student and postdoctoral scholar community.