The Dean Witter Fund promotes informal social faculty-student interaction and was established by a contribution from Dean Witter, founder of the San Francisco based investment firm. Funds may be used to defer the cost of a variety of events, including meals on campus, at local restaurants, or informal social gatherings.
Application submissions are currently closed.
- Questions regarding the application process should be directed to email@example.com.
- For events serving graduate students, please visit the Office of Graduate Studies website.
- For events serving law school students, please contact the School of Law Dean's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All applications are reviewed by the Council on Student Affairs and Fees (COSAF) for approval/denial.
- An event outline and budget with projected itemized expenses will need to be submitted as part of your application.
- Applications should be submitted at least one month prior to the event.
- Funds are to be used for the social interaction of undergraduate students and faculty.
- Please allow up to 3 weeks for a response to your application.
- Student Affairs reserves the right to verify the event with the designated guests.
- The applicant must be the person who pays for the expense and submits receipts for reimbursement.
- All reimbursement documentation must be submitted within 5–7 business days of the event with proof of payment and itemized receipts.
- Applicants will be reimbursed within the limits set by UCD PPM 330-80 and UC BUS-79 and a suggested tip rate of no more than 15-18% for catering/meal costs.
- Failure to comply with the Dean Witter guidelines will result in forfeiture of funding even if request was originally approved and personal funds have been spent.
- Failure to abide by these guidelines may jeopardize approval of future Dean Witter funding.
- All events must include undergraduate students and at least one faculty member.
- Eligible attendees include faculty, teaching assistants and undergraduate students.
- Events must take place outside the regular classroom.
Ineligible Events and Expenses
Funding will not be awarded for the following:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Classroom functions (e.g., lectures, study sessions, labs, discussion sections, field trips, competitions)
- Costs for non-UC participants
- Departmental events
- Events open to the public
- Gift cards
- Multiple applications for the same event
- Recognition/award events
- Recurring applications from the same class/group within the same quarter
- Spouses, domestic partners and family members of attendees
- Tickets for sports events or musical/theatrical performances