The Dean Witter Fund promotes informal social faculty-student interaction and was established by a contribution from Dean Witter, founder of the San Francisco based investment firm. Funds may be used to defer the cost of a variety of events, including meals on campus, at local restaurants, or informal social gatherings.
Application submissions are currently open. Please note funding will be disbursed only if they comply with current public health policies and requirements.
- Questions regarding the application process should be directed to email@example.com.
- For events serving graduate students, please visit the Office of Graduate Studies website.
- For events serving law school students, please contact the School of Law Dean's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All applications are reviewed by the Council on Student Affairs and Fees (COSAF) for approval/denial.
- An event outline and budget with projected itemized expenses will need to be submitted as part of your application.
- Applications should be submitted at least one month prior to the event.
- Funds are to be used for the social interaction of undergraduate students and faculty.
- Please allow up to 3 weeks for a response to your application.
- Student Affairs reserves the right to verify the event with the designated guests.
- The applicant must be the person who pays for the expense and submits receipts for reimbursement.
- All reimbursement documentation must be submitted within 5–7 business days of the event with proof of payment and itemized receipts.
- Applicants will be reimbursed within the limits set by UCD PPM 330-80 and UC BUS-79 and a suggested tip rate of no more than 15-18% for catering/meal costs.
- Failure to comply with the Dean Witter guidelines will result in forfeiture of funding even if request was originally approved and personal funds have been spent.
- Failure to abide by these guidelines may jeopardize approval of future Dean Witter funding.
- All events must include undergraduate students and at least one faculty member.
- Eligible attendees include faculty, teaching assistants and undergraduate students.
- Events must take place outside the regular classroom.
Ineligible Events and Expenses
Funding will not be awarded for the following:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Classroom functions (e.g., lectures, study sessions, labs, discussion sections, field trips, competitions)
- Costs for non-UC participants
- Departmental events
- Events open to the public
- Gift cards
- Multiple applications for the same event
- Recognition/award events
- Recurring applications from the same class/group within the same quarter
- Spouses, domestic partners and family members of attendees
- Tickets for sports events or musical/theatrical performances