The Dean Witter Fund promotes informal social faculty-student interaction and was established by a contribution from Dean Witter, founder of the San Francisco based investment firm. Funds may be used to defer the cost of a variety of events, including meals on campus, at local restaurants, or informal social gatherings.
Application submissions are currently open and are reviewed for eligibility during fall, winter, and spring academic terms only.
- Questions regarding the application process should be directed to email@example.com.
- For events serving graduate students, please visit the Office of Graduate Studies website.
- For events serving law school students, please contact the School of Law Dean's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All applications are reviewed by the Council on Student Affairs and Fees (COSAF) for approval/denial.
- An event outline and budget with projected itemized expenses will need to be submitted as part of your application.
- Applications should be submitted at least one month prior to the event.
- Funds are to be used for the social interaction of undergraduate students and instructors (professors, lecturers, TAs).
- Please allow up to 3 weeks for a response to your application.
- Student Affairs reserves the right to verify the event with the designated guests.
- The applicant must be the person who pays for the expense and submits receipts for reimbursement.
- All reimbursement documentation must be submitted within 5–7 business days of the event with proof of payment and itemized receipts.
- Applicants will be reimbursed within the limits set by UCD PPM 330-80 and UC BUS-79 and a tip rate of no more than 15-18% for catering/meal costs.
- Award funds are disbursed in the form of a reimbursement after the conclusion of the awarded event.
- Failure to comply with the Dean Witter guidelines will result in forfeiture of funding even if request was originally approved and personal funds have been spent.
- Failure to abide by these guidelines may jeopardize approval of future Dean Witter funding.
- All events must include undergraduate students and at least one instructor (professor, lecturer, or TA).
- Eligible attendees include instructors and undergraduate students.
- Informal activities outside the classroom.
Ineligible Events and Expenses
Funding will not be awarded for the following:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Departmental events
- Events open to the public
- Formal classroom activities and/or functions that are a part of the graded curriculum
- Formal recognition/award events
- Gift cards
- Multiple applications for the same event
- Spouses, domestic partners and family members of attendees
- Tickets for sports events or musical/theatrical performances